i Liberal Arts Education is Worth the Money | COLLEGE WRITING: DEBATE(S) IN HIGHER EDCUATION

Bridget Leen

When we are little, we worry about different things like who we were going to play with or what we were going to have for a snack, but for the most part that is about the only thing kids really worry about. For me, as a little kid, I was confused by all the high school and college stuff. I never knew which one came first, and I thought if I did not figure it out I would go to them in the wrong order. Even when I was little I was worried about college, but not in the same way as I am now. Sometimes I think if school is even worth the money, but then I think about it and my answer is always yes. Yes, college is expensive, but I feel like a four-year education is worth the money. I feel like STEM, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, are great to know, but at a liberal arts college you can learn so much more than just those four subjects.

I chose to come to St. Norbert because it was only three hours away from home. I am very close with my family, but I would have to say I am the closest with my dad. He is one of the many reason that I am in college. One of the reasons that I am at St. Norbert College is because my dad did not go to college. He came to America by himself when he was 19, so he did not have that option of going to school. My dad always stresses how important my education is, and that I should not take it for granted. There have been many times where I just wanted to give up on school, but my dad has reminded me many times how important my education is. My dad is a good man and has many street smarts, but he always says that he does not want us, his children, to grow up and be like him in the aspect that he did not go to school. One could say that this is my history that lead me to St. Norbert College.

What I will get out of my St. Norbert College education is what I will put into it.  If I do not go to classes, there is a good chance that I will do poorly in school.  I am here to get a four-year education.  Because I am at a four-year college, I can be an undecided major and it will not effect when I will graduate.  Fareed Zakaria suggests that a liberal arts education will give a better understanding on the basic information people need to achieve in school: “The final strength of a liberal education is that it teaches you how to learn – to read in a variety of subjects, find data, analyze information.”  If you go to a two-year technical college, you will not learn the same things as you would at a four-year college.  I hope to get a good education within my four years at SNC.  This is why a liberal arts education is more important to me than a two-year technical college.

It is interesting to me that Dale Stephens talks about how college fails to give the students the skill to be an active member of todays society: “College fails to empower us with the skills necessary to become productive members of today’s global entrepreneurial economy.” Yes, there are people who do not go to college and do well in life, but in most situations that is not the case. If you do not want to go to college, that is your choice and no one can make you do anything you do not want to do. We should not judge someone if they decided not to go to college because we do not know their reason behind why they did not go. If you do not have the money to go that is understandable, but if you are just simply lazy and hate school that is a different situation. If you chose not to go to school, you should not complain if you have a bad job. Dale Stephens went to college for two years and realized that it was not for him, but at least he went and tried it. I find this quote by Stephens interesting because while we are at school we learn how to deal with people every day. We also learn how to extend our communication, such as our writing and our verbal skills. This is why I feel it is worth the money to go to college.

College is expensive, but a four-year college would be the best decision for any high school senior from my point of view. A four-year liberal arts college is worth it because you can take classes you never thought you would have taken. Students can explore more in a liberal arts college. They are not restricted to just the STEM classes. For some people a two-year college, or not going to college at all might be the only option. On The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, Kurt Metzger gives the viewers insight on the cost of education: “education is worth it unless it costs 250,000 dollars”.  I think I would have to agree with Metzger on this point.  Like I said before, some people cannot afford a four-year college, so they have to go to a two-year college or not go at all.  Taking out loans from the bank is a good idea when you are in college, but is it really worth it?  You have to pay interest when you pack back the bank.  With all the expense of college, it may not be worth it for some people, but for those who can afford a four-year college should go and see what it is like.

Coming to St. Norbert College was my choice. Yes, my parents did want me to go to school, but in the end it was my decision to come here. College is the most expensive schooling that most of us will ever go to. When you think about it though, the amount of money we will make once we get a job will be more than college costs. I would say that college is worth the money if you put the effort into your classes. In my opinion, I think that everyone should go to college if they can. People say that college is the best years of your life. I know people who did not go to college and they say that they wish they did just to see what it was like. College might not be for everyone, but I think that if you have the money to go to college you should go.