i Reflective Essay | COLLEGE WRITING: DEBATE(S) IN HIGHER EDCUATION

Drew Checolinski

During my time spent in IDIS 100 writing class, I have improved my writing, by using lessons taught in classroom. Using all the techniques that were presented in the classroom and blogs, also with the feedback of a helping professor I have expanded my knowledge not only with writing, also on subjects that I wrote about. Learning how to write more correctly, will not only help me with school, but also in everyday situations.  I understand that I could have learned this information outside of a writing class, but the class was an easier, more enjoyable way to learn these ideas. All the information learned, and skills this class has taught me, will lead to a better life.

Before taking this class, most of my papers did not include the best evidence. If I did include evidence, I did not explain it enough. When writing a paper, one has to write as if the person reading the paper had no idea of what the writer is writing about. Dr. Scheler has many times, gave feedback on my evidence. I have the evidence, I just needed to explain why the evidence clearly effects the topic I am writing about. One example of this is when I wrote my Blog Post 3. I had evidence drawn from my own experiences and they were a bit gestural. “You have to make sure it’s specific, detailed, concrete story- or else it feels like assertion, not evidence.” Mr. Scheler stated this because my evidence was not specific enough. I needed a specific story where x, y, and then z happens. Now as I progressed, my evidence is more developed with more of my reasons and evidence together.

“Understand that our point of view may not prevail. Be prepared to not always have our way with policy decisions; accept that perhaps our solution may not be the best.”  David Wegge, a professor of Political Science and Director of the St. Norbert College Strategic Research Institute, stated this to show the constructive approach in public life. He argues that necessary ingredients for developing a culture of argument, one needs to have issues that are contested. Once that is stated, one needs a healthy exchange of views and perspectives on the issues. Learning how to argue in my papers is much like David Wegge states. In the class many different students, from all over, and different backgrounds, wrote about subjects that are dealt with in everyday lives. I had to learn to respect every single one of the student’s views. Using their views I constructed evidence as well as claims that opposed there claims.  Even if I did not agree, I tried to understand. If I have a problem or an argument that needs to be addressed in my life, I know how to respectfully do so.

Writing papers in this class were done to argue on a subject. I did learn how to better argue, but I also learned about the topic I wrote about. Blog Post 3 was about diversity. This subject, I never thought about. I just went about my life, and did not pay much attention to it. When the assignment came up, I did not know what we could argue about it. Reading many different views of students in my class caught my attention, and I soon became interested in the subject. Not only was all the information I started to read about when looking the subject up interesting, but when I read information on how Diversity can be positive, I started to learn many things. There was also statistics about a middle school, and how diversity helped, and I learned that diversity is a positive in school, not just in life. Another example of Diversity being a positive is Sheen S. Levine and David Stark explaining an experiment done in which diversity positively impacted the results. It amazing that writing papers, trying to prove a point, one can learn endless information, which can be used in the future.

This writing class has not only made myself a better writer, but a more complete person. In future classes, I will have a better writing style, because of the styles I was taught in this class. I understand now how to argue more appropriately, which will not only help in papers but in my life. I can now know how to argue more effectively while showing respect for other people. Also, the rules for arguing, can be used in life, which make myself a more respectful, understanding person. Diversity is major topic in this world today, and there is information all over the place on it. I have become more aware, and learned a thing or two about the subject. I believe this class is very appropriate to be taught like this at this college. The college is very diverse, and many different backgrounds, and learning the information in this classroom, will lead to a more Norbertine lifestyle that shows respect and understanding.