i College Athletes Should Be Paid | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education
21. November 2016 · Comments Off · Categories: Blog Post 3

Bright Boachie

College athletics have increased fame among Americans in the course of recent decades. Schools now make a lot of money through their athletic programs, but athletes do not always see that money. For this reason, many have asked whether school competitors should be paid past their athletic grants? These competitors are buckling down and getting cash to the University consistently, yet aren’t remunerated with any fiscal value.  They are also working for the schools and are doing a support of the school that appears to go unnoticed.  This absence of pay is not seen any place else in the work put and shouldn’t be seen here. Student athletes ought to be made up for their work, as they are the sole explanation behind the Athletic Program’s surplus in revenue.

The NCAA has protected its arrangements on paying athletes by the grounds that these competitors are frequently on full grants that cover educational cost, settlement, expenses and meal arranges at the college they go to. While these expenses are altogether secured. There are numerous expenses connected with being a school athlete that the educational cost doesn’t cover. There are essential costs that are not secured by grants. Student athletes who burn through hours a week preparing and contemplating will frequently wind up starving admirably after the college’s eating offices have shut. There is no room in these grants for furnishing students with extra eating choices. Rather, these expenses need to leave their own particular pocket. For instance, Shabazz Napier, a former Connecticut basketball star stated in an interview which I saw in john Oliver video that “he doesn’t even know if he when or if he will have a meal”. As a college athlete myself, I see how this is an issue for athletes. Not all of us come from a good financial home and that we need to find a job to provide for ourselves. however, it’s hard for student athletes to find jobs that for the most part fits our schedule. Ever since I got on campus, I’ve been trying to find a job but with my school schedule along with my football schedule, there hasn’t been a lot of options for me. I applied for some campus jobs but I could not get the position because of my schedule, which includes football practice and games.

The most critical motivation to pay athletes is that it will guarantee that most athletes will finish their advanced education. Paying college athletes would give them a motivator to remain in school and finish their degree programs, rather than leaving ahead of schedule for the professional leagues. In the event that competitors are paid to play, not just would they be able to cover some of their school costs that grants couldn’t cover, additionally now they will need to complete their education.  NCAA prides itself on all athletes are students first and competitors second, in any case, it appears that more well-known competitors leave right on time for the pros. In an ESPN article pay college athletes, Jadeveon Clowney, former South Carolina football player and a current Houston Texans football player made the statement “Yes. Having to take care of my family, it would have made a difference if I’d have gotten paid,” Clowney said on “Jim Rome” on Showtime. “If I would have had the chance to take care of my family through college, I would have probably stayed in college.” It’s evident that everyone wants to finish school and get their degrees but with the hard economy times, people tries to find the easier way to make money and for college athletes, it’s imply just turning pro as early as possible.  The significance of their training is lost.  The University is by all accounts dishonest in its activities when it doesn’t pay its competitors, since it appears they bolster school competitors leaving for the Professional group early.

College sports apparel market capitalizes specifically on the players.If competitors somehow managed to be paid for one and only reason, it is on the grounds that the NCAA and colleges benefit from both the group’s prosperity and the players’ status for its own particular monetary profit through the offers of attire and other stock. At the point when colleges offer pullovers and shirts with prevalent numbers on them, they are actually offering the personhood of the individual whose number is on the shirt.

While it may seem odd and unjust to pay college athletes, the reality is that compensation of such athletes is a necessity not only to keep competition at a steady level in college athletics, but also to encourage students to graduate and get their college degrees.  The truth of the matter is that many college athletes are already being paid under the table which creates a black-market that is not only illegal, but is also unfair to universities that abide by NCAA regulations.  Universities are exploiting these students and allowing them not to receive any revenue that they clearly earned. Therefore college athletes should be paid.

Comments closed.