i Diversity in our community | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education
09. December 2016 · Comments Off · Categories: Blog Post 4

Lorena Martinez

Higher education should take a stance for the fight of race/ethnicity equality. Although many colleges are doing so I believe that all colleges need to keep their students informed whether that is in class of through social groups. For example police brutality is an ongoing battle. It has become African American people against the Police. I’m from Milwaukee and I have personally seen and heard of many cases of death within my city. I work at a store at a mall and I had to experience racial discrimination. Due to a protest in support of “Black Lives Matter” in the mall the security had to shut down the mall and call the cops. There was no issue with violence or disruption within the mall. With Milwaukee being on the top 10 list of the most segregated cities it makes sense that racial problems are still very visible.

Some believe that religious colleges should not be tolerant of differences. Wolfgang Grassl a former professor at SNC stated in an article titled Diversity is not a catholic value, “The frantic quest for “diversity” is a deeply anti-Catholic impulse. It finds no support in Catholic moral and social teaching.” However, SNC is not a college that enforces religion just as Meghan Mohana states in the same article. She also makes her argument stronger by mentioning, “Instead it involves passing on the values that St. Norbert of Xanten preached about, namely serving one’s community and helping those in need without judgment.” Also the bible itself says (Kings James Version) “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” This means nobody is excluded. Every human being is the same to God and therefore the Catholic church should see everyone the same way. This also leads to the idea that everyone is able to be part of any religion or no religion. That is totally free to each individual to decide for themselves.

Although in the Christian Churches anyone who is part of the LGBTQ community is partaking in sin, people need to tolerate and respect everyone. Julia K Stronks, the author of an article titled Discrimination and Pluralism, writes “I believe that government should try to protect a diversity of worldviews and should also fund a pluralism of institutions that are shaped by different worldviews.  I think this leads to a healthy society where minority voices have room to grow and to try and influence their communities.” No matter what people believe in they should all be accepting and loving. Just at the bible says(KJV), “And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.”

SNC does a very good job about this by countering this idea. SNC does a mandatory session during the first week of school freshman year to deal with diversity. An acting group goes on stage and they have racist, sexist, and religious arguments. They are offensive and not open minded when acting. The overall goal was to have that conversation as a class and discuss the issues that come with generalizations and assumptions.

In my opinion, colleges all over, specially SNC should allow for tolerance and acceptance for diversity. en by Meghan Mohana, mentions that SNC accepts people. There is a great variety of people on campus. She also states, “ We have students who are LGBT, believe in birth control, have premarital sex, are feminists, are survivors of sexual violence, are pro-life and pro-choice, atheists, Muslims, agnostics, devout Catholics, vegans, survivors of mental illness, students of color, disabled, from dozens of countries around the world and every socio-economic category there is.” Everyone on campus is unique in their own way. But diversity, more specifically race/ethnicity, sexual preferences, and religious freedom, should be present and accepted/tolerated in all colleges. No matter where you come from, what you believe in, who you believe in, and who you love everyone should enjoy the differences to be well rounded students/people.

Comments closed.