i Education in this century | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education
31. October 2016 · Comments Off · Categories: Blog Post 2

Dia Henderson

IDIS

Education in the 21st century

Education has taken a complete change in the past decade. Over the past 10 or more years, technology has become more advanced; resulting in the advancement of education. The schooling system has changed in general, like class sizes and quality of teachers. With all this change, I still prefer in-class teaching, in a small classroom to where I can form a bond with my teacher, but still not cross over the line of having an inappropriate relationship with her/him. Still, an interactive learning relationship.

There is an ongoing argument on whether in class learning was better than online learning and vice versa. After witnessing and experiencing both in-class and online classes, In- class lessons are best for students because they get a better understanding of lessons having a teacher in front. In class the teacher can elaborate on topics students may need more explanation on. “While many online programs are ramping up their support services for students, experts say many others have a long way to go before they rival the offerings of their on-campus counterparts.”, meaning online school lack interpersonal relationships. This article from the USN speaks of the difficulties of not having the resources that are needed when taking an online course compared to in class. Online schooling may be a cost effective and may be at easy access; however, in class lessons have more opportunities and resources. With more explanation student become more comfortable with a topic and can write more about it. Plus, in class students are more prone to pay closer attention to the lessons.

I have had much experience with “helicopter teachers” in high school and understand many people, to avoid these teachers, choose online classes . My school was a small, private boarding school. There was no way that the teachers would not be invested in the personal lives of their students. I especially became close with my Spanish teacher specifically sophomore year and she not only became a mentor but a friend. At the time it did not bother me that I was so close to a teacher and that she knew me not only on a professional level but also a personal level. She also was very flexible according to my needs and the needs of our class since there were only 5 people in the class. I remember she had a test scheduled for us and I was not preparing for the test and she cancelled the test. I believed this helped me, but now that I look back, cancelling the test did not answer at all. Now that I am in an advanced college Spanish coarse, I regret allowing my teacher to get in my personal business because when i got to college i realized that i truly did not learn enough Spanish to be in the level of Spanish that I am in now. Now, I do not know as much Spanish as the other students, and i takes me longer to process and understand Spanish Teaching and parenting share this in common: In both relationships, the goal is to produce independent and self-sufficient human beings... I agree with helping students developing and showing more attention to certain students, but not to the level of becoming friends with the teacher; keeping a professional interest in a student is appropriate.

I agree with helping students developing and showing more attention to certain students, but not to the level of becoming friends with the teacher. Therefor many people tend to learn online to avoid the personal relationships with teachers. Online schooling may be a cost effective and may be at easy access; however, in class lessons have more opportunities and resources. I honestly prefer in person lessons because online is too impersonal, and too many technical issues can occur. Although online is cheaper I would rather attend college in person; in the flesh. After witnessing and experiencing both in-class and online classes, In- class lessons are best for students because they get a better understanding of lessons having a teacher in front. In class the teacher can elaborate on topics students may need more explanation on.

Comments closed.