i Make It Count | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education

Bright Boachie

Education in the United States has turned into a big, expensive, corporate business where the students and families are at the very bottom of the priority list. The rising cost of higher education has affected students in every state. Some Students have developed a certain level of stress due to their ability to pay for their education. Even if students are able to go through the high education, there is a postgraduate debt, which most graduates have. My family has been going through this for the past six years with my two older sisters along with me trying to get a higher education. Higher education cost has reached a point where families find extremely hard to pay the cost. The cost of higher education has lead to students taking out loans, which becomes another issue once they graduate. The article America Can Fix Its Student Loan Crisis. Just Ask Australia by Susan Dynarski Student Loan Crisis, the author points out how having student debt isn’t the problem but the payment is. American students have less time to pay off their debt even though the amount of borrowed money in comparison to other countries like Sweden is small. Dynarski stated “The typical student debt in Sweden is 172,000 kronor, or about $20,000. In the United States, undergraduate debt is less than $10,000 for those who don’t complete a B.A., and about $30,000 for those who do…. Yet despite this widespread borrowing, there is no student debt crisis in Sweden, because payments are spread out over 25 years. They also start out low, rising slowly over time. In the United States, the typical repayment period is just 10 years”. With the amount of time to pay off debt for American students being small, Students for the most part are not able to repay their loans in time or they fell pressured, which leads to the students generating some level of stress. Cost of education in US has become a big issue that needs to be fixed.

Due to the issues with higher education cost, I feel obligated to make sure that my college experiences are worth it. Ways I’m going to make sure that happen includes not worrying about what degree I pick especially being in a liberal arts school. Also, making sure I join clubs such as athletics, etc. finally, accepting that I am going to make mistakes and not worry about trying out different materials.

Being at a liberal arts school, I have the opportunity to excel in multiple areas, which can help me in my postgraduate career as I look for jobs.  A liberal arts education opens up more options in terms of careers after graduation; I don’t have to settle for one specific career. In other words it provides me with the ability to work in multiple fields. Edward j. RAY author of the article The Value of a Liberal Arts Education explained the importance of liberal education and that liberal arts education prepare students more for their postgraduate careers compare to the other forms of education: “Most people will have six to 10 jobs during their careers, and liberal arts majors are the most adaptable to new circumstances”. Graduates with liberal arts degree find it easy to adapt to new jobs, which might not even be in their field of study.

College is a place to discover and also create personalities. In other words it’s the time to find whom I am and that I don’t have to limit myself. Which makes sense since I have an undecided major. Being a student with an undecided major, I am opened to multiple opportunities as far as what career I am trying to get into.

College is most about reaching out and expanding ones network of support. I feel like joining clubs; athletics or a non-profit organization is a great way to do that. In other words get connected with as many programs as I can and that can increase my chances of having a great experience in college.

I have always dream about playing college sports and that being able to play football at SNC, I already feel like I’m making my college worth it. Just like any athlete, a championship would be the only thing that would make my experience truly worth it.

Finally, college is about trying different things and seeing which one best fits me; which ones I like and don’t like. With that being said, I can’t be afraid to make mistakes. For my college experience to be worth it, I have to accept the fact that there will be times when I struggle and times where I feel like the luckiest person in the world. The truth is that whatever it is, it will only get better. Also, most importantly not allow my mistakes to define me and not be too hard on myself. To have a great experience from doing a certain thing, one has to try different things, and through that comes mistakes. I will just have to learn from them and move on.

Higher education has reached a point to where it is hard to pay off so while you are there, make sure you make it worth a while. To do so, you will have try out different school related programs. In other words, get involve with the community. Unless you are someone who has an idea of what you want to get and pretty much has your future planned out already. Also join programs, athletic clubs, etc. Lastly, do not be afraid to make mistakes because that’s how you will learn and make your experiences worth it.