i Paying Division III Athletes | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education
22. November 2016 · Comments Off · Categories: Blog Post 3

Brian Herrera

Many athletes believe they should be paid to play in college at their school. In reality, all schools should just be treated equally, therefore, all Divisions of school should get paid. There are two ways being paid can be interpreted, one is they get paid upon their scholarships, and the other is athletes just get scholarships. Therefore, athletes are actually paid, Division III athletes should be paid not just Divisions above them, athletes should not be treated differently because of their Division of school they go to, and athletes get different majors. Many athletes would want to get paid because of all the time and effort they put not only into their school work but also in their sports they are participating in. That is why all Divisions should be paid including Division III schools.

With Division I and II schools athletes receive scholarships while Division III’s do not. The students receive money from the school/program to go to their school and continue playing their sport. They are basically being “paid” to represent the school and program. Grant it the students may not receive actual money but it is used for their school which saves them (if they have to pay for school on their own) or saves their parents money also. Overall, Division I and II student-athletes do get paid.

Division I along with Division II and Division III athletes should also receive scholarships, not just Divisions above them. Students in sports all around work just as hard as athletes in Division I and II schools. I say this because there are actually some Division III athletes that have gone on to play professionally. It is not easy to do what all athletes, regardless of what division, can do. They all work hard in their sports and they also work hard in the classroom in order to participate in the season. On Last Week Tonight that tackled this problem,  John Oliver argued that, the NCAA March Madness tournament alone makes 1 billion dollars in revenue. If that is basketball alone making all that money, think of the rest of the money being made during the season and in the other sports. With all the money the NCAA is making, I believe they should start offering Division III schools athletic scholarships for now on.

Athletes should not be treated differently because of the division of school they go to. Size should not matter of the school for an athlete to get “paid” to play, scholarship wise. All athletes have to maintain a certain GPA in order to continue playing. In addition to that, the athletes also work hard outside of the classroom in order to develop their skills and mechanics of the game. But then again it depends on how their professors are in the class.

Many of the students-athletes major in different subjects which could make it harder to focus, which could also lead to some Division III athletes to have it harder than Division I and II athletes, school wise. Many college professors teach differently. A professor at a Division III school can be harder than a professor at a Division I school or vice versa. Also, many of the schools could also grade differently than the others like a 92 in one college can be the lowest A, while at another school a 93 could be the lowest A. All schools and professors are different which is why it can be harder or easier for any division.

All athletes are different, skill wise, but they all work hard for what they want whether it is on the field or the classroom. I believe it is unjust for some Division III athletes to not get “paid” to go to school even when their skills may be better than those of athletes who are in Division I and II. Division III athletes may get paid in a certain way but, I believe they should get actual sport scholarships instead of just academic scholarships. I also think they if they were to just get sport scholarships they would be able to receive more money than they would with the extra academic scholarship.

Comments closed.