i Reflective Essay | College Writing: Debate(s) In Higher Education
13. December 2016 · Comments Off · Categories: Reflective Essay

Libbie Doney

Emily Stewart argues in her article “No, we’re not teaching Composition all wrong” that she is seeing more and more of her students succeeding with writing in her class. If students are given the time and tools to revise and work on their papers they will do it. Peer workshops help tremendously with not only learning how to read others work but also how to read your own. Every class we had workshops, which helped me because it gave me the opportunity to work on what we had just learned. Our workshops involved the reading of articles then basing the paragraph off of what you just read. In my opinion it helps when I have to read then write about it because I get to write about different topics and opinions giving myself variety so I wasn’t always writing about the same thing. Stewart believes the more students read and the more students write the better they will become at it. Writing should be a process and if you do that process the outcome will be worthwhile.
I came into college with little experience on how to write papers. I didn’t think I was a horrible writer but I just wasn’t given the time or resources to be a good writer. The only year I learned about how to really write papers was my senior year in AP English. But what I learned in high school was different than what I learned in my first semester of college. In high school I learned that every introduction needed a thesis and then in the conclusion you had to restate your thesis and then end your essay on a new note. I learned quickly in College Writing that papers are much more. There are different ways you can structure paragraphs to support your claim. You don’t need to end your introduction with a thesis sentence
Throughout the semester we wrote different blog posts that involved different topics. In the acknowledge and response blog post, I learned that you don’t always have to use evidence that supports your claim. You can use evidence that disagrees, which then you can acknowledge it then respond with your own opinion. In my paper I used evidence that supported athletes getting paid in college but I responded with my own opinion saying that athletes should not. In our evidence blog post, we used different articles to support our claim with specific data. My research paper was based off of diversity and I used articles from Universities that would back up my claim. This was beneficial because it made me think about what was important to be effective to your paper. The self-reflective blog post was useful for recognizing what order to put your paragraphs. It makes a difference when you put your paragraphs in an order that makes the paper flow together.
When it came to revise my own blog posts, I noticed I always needed to explain my evidence better and always had to take another look at my introduction. Having a well worded introduction is very important. It not only gives the reader the information they need to know what your paper is about but it also makes them want to read it. I noticed that my introduction became better when I added evidence to it. It added to the paragraph, giving it more depth. When I used evidence I would sometimes misunderstand the article giving it the wrong claim. So when I got my revisions back I always had to go through and re read my evidence. This is something that I will still continue to work on.
In the article “In Defense of Essays” it talks about how writing essays helps your critical thinking skills, perform meaningful analysis, draw conclusions and communicate complex ideas. These writing skills will help me in my other classes throughout college. College Writing was a good class for me to learn the bases of writing so I can be successful. It doesn’t take me forever to write a paper now because I know what to write about and how to state a claim and support it with evidence. These are the skills that help you throughout college and in life in general.

Comments closed.